Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I run, therefore, I must be a runner!


My new hobby, running!

I've become one of 'those' people.  I like to talk a lot about how much I enjoy running, and how each of my runs goes.  About my races -past and future races, about my running gear (or lack of), pretty much everything running related. 
So, if you don't like to read about things like that, you can stop reading now.

These last 4 or 5 months have been pretty crazy.  I took up running with the idea of running a half marathon.  I started small, training for a 5K, that I ran alone.  It was so much fun, even though I didn't have any friends running with me.  I love the adrenaline rush of being with so many people all working towards the finish line.  I LOVED it!  I even beat my personal best records in farthest distance and best time/ mile. It was a great experience.  I was really surprised at how stong the sense of accomplishment was.  I had set a goal, worked hard in training, and then achieved it.  It felt great.  So, my next goal of running the half marathon seemed so much more real.  I just had to train for it...
The training schedule I was using seemed very mild.  In the first few weeks the longest I had to run was just 2 or 2.5 miles.  I had already done that in my 5K race and a few times in training so I thought it was no big deal.  But I found as I tried pushing myself to 3 miles it was hard.  I was taking my time, only running two or maybe three times a week.  On our trip out west I even missed a whole week of training.  I started to panic a little.  I didn't want to be behind with the training schedule.  Luckily there are about 8 other girls I know training for the half marathon, so we have been running together when we can.  Running with friends makes a HUGE difference.  I have been able to push past my 3 mile plateau.  In fact now 3 miles in the shortest distance I run in a week and it is almost easy now.  What a difference! 
This week I ran 5 miles on Monday, 4 miles today, I will run 3 miles tomorrow, and 7 miles on Saturday.  When I started this journey I couldn't run 1 mile!  Once again that feeling of accomplishment is huge.  I felt great last week when I ran 6 miles for the first time, and I'm actually looking forward to this Saturday's 7 miles. 
I know I'm still a way's away from 13.1 miles, which is how far the half marathon is, but I know I'm getting there.  It is exciting to me. 
I have also learned a lot about myself in all this.  I learned that I can get up really early, if I want to.  :)  In order to get my runs in without having to take kids, I go at 5:30 in the morning. It actually gets my day off to a good start.  I have had morr energy, and more motivation to keep my house clean, and eat healthier.  Did I mention I feel way better.  I am noticing muscles on my body that I haven't felt in years!  Needless to say, I'm enjoying all these hidden benefits to running. 
One fall back is the cost.  Each race costs money.  Running clothes cost money.  Something to hold, my phone and water bottles and keys, costs money.  Go figure.  I really hope I can keep my training up after my big race in September.  But, I'm afraid that without a race to motivate me I will end up slacking off and lose the stamina I have been working for.  Signing up for a race is a great motivator to keep training. 

I made the mistake of going to a running store last week, and I was in heaven.  I found awesome running clothes, hydration belts, shoes, etc.  Who knew there could be such a difference in shorts? 

Anyway, this post is mostly for my own benefit.  Getting my feelings of running out of my head.  Sorry if I bored you, but remember I warned you in the beginning.  :) 


1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work Leia, wish I could be your running buddy!! By the way I had to laugh at the picture...the guy behind you looks like he is staring at your butt! ha love it!

    ReplyDelete