Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Oh yeah, we moved!

Oh man, I'm a terrible blogger...
So, since my last post in Janurary (gulp), we have been kind of busy.
In February we moved.  Yay!
Since that is the first big event, I'll start with that.
We bought a trailer to move our belongings.  Since we only wanted to make one trip to Montana we sold a BUNCH of our belongings.  We still managed to fill the trailer, and leave a bunch of stuff behind.
The drive out from St. Louis to Billings was torture.  For me.  
I don't do well on road trips.  Add a 16 foot trailer to the back of your car, in February, with high winds, and I was a wreck. 
I tried to convince Brian to drop me off at the airport and I would just meet him in Montana, but he didn't go for that.  So, instead I got to stress myself out, to the point that I was literally sick. 
Luckily, the kids did pretty good.  
We left late on Saturday night and spent the first night in Columbia, MO.  We left early the next morning and made it to North Platte, NE.  (We have spent the night in that town multiple times now...)  

One our third day of driving, we hit we were getting pummeled by high winds as we crossed Wyoming.  
The winds were so bad, that the highway was basically shut down.  As we were exiting the freeway, the car and trailer changed lanes all by itself because of the winds!  (See my fears weren't completely unwarranted.)  
So we pulled off in Cheyenne and spent the rest of the day and night there.  
To pass the time we went to the Lego Movie in 3D.  
Then we swam at the hotel.  We got an awesome room that had an attached mini-room with a tv and two sets of bunk beds.  The kids were happy, and so were the parents.  

The next morning, by some miracle, Brian woke up early and saw that the highway was open again, earlier than they had expected it to.  So we jumped back in the car and took off.  
We still dealt with high winds, but they weren't bad enough to make us stop.  
Brian stuck me in the back of the car, and I calmed down a lot.  After a few hours, the winds got so bad again that they had to shut down the highway, again, but only for the area we had already passed through.  Woo hoo!  I told you it was a miracle Brian woke up when he did.  Any later and we wouldn't have been able to get out, or we would have been stuck on the side of the road somewhere waiting for the roads to open again.  
So on the fourth day we made it to Billings and got to sleep in our new house.  We (I) was THRILLED to get out of that car.  After the trip was all said and done, I had lost 5 pounds from stressing myself out.  I told you, I was literally sick from the stress.  

The kids started school two days after we got here. They really jumped right in and are doing a great job of adjusting.  
We sold the trailer a week after we got here!  We were able to move for pretty much just the cost of our hotels and food.  Much better than paying $3,000, like we have done for past moves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment