Monday, January 17, 2011

1 in a 1000

Those are pretty good odds, huh!!? Maybe, if the "1" was something cool... but it's not, not today, not for me.

I have no idea who all reads this blog anymore, so if you are someone who doesn't like to hear about girl issues or gets grossed out WAY too easily, then stop reading now.

Ok, you're still reading, so you must want to know about how I became '1 in a 1000.' I got an IUD (intrauterine device) back in July 2010. I was told to expect some cramping and spotting, that those are normal side effects. So when I started bleeding and having some sharp pains, I brushed those off as 'how my body is dealing with the IUD.' Not the case. Apparently the IUD perforated my uterus (most likely during insertion), and is now residing in my abdominal cavity somewhere. Lucky me, I know. (1 in a 1000 baby!!)

What next? Well, since you asked. I get to have lathroscopic surgery. What's that? My, you're nosey... that's ok, I will tell you anyway. My doctor says "we will stick a video camera in through your belly button [ouch!] and make a 5 mm incision right above your pubic bone, and go in that way as well." Thank you for that lengthy explanation... I later found out they will also fill my abdomen with some gas, and put that scary tube down my throat. Needless to say I'm super excited... to get it over with. My doctor also offered to put in a new IUD for "free!!" (told ya I'm lucky) I think I'll pass this time Doc. You can keep that IUD. Oh, and as if all this isn't exciting enough, the surgery is only going to cost me about $5,000. I see a great money making business here. I should be a doctor and insert IUD's, and when I "accidentally" perforate the uterus I can make big bucks taking the thing out. That's a joke. However, it wasn't my fault. I think the office should be covering this.

Anyway, if you're still reading, wish me luck. In 24 hours my Mom will almost be here, and in 48 hours it will all be over with. Can't wait.

And, if you do think those odds are pretty good... here are some numbers that you could, I don't know, try in the lottery 8, 16, 24, 73, 81. (I don't even know how many numbers you use in the lottery)

Stay tuned for post surgery news, woo woo! ;)

4 comments:

  1. Oh no!! Leia, I am SO SORRY to hear about this! That is just awful! I agree, the office should pay 100%! I hope the surgery goes well and that you don't have anymore issues happen afterwords! Sending you lots of love and a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Leia! Thats terrible! I was expecting you to say you were 1/1000 to get prego off an IUD. LOL! I hope the surgery is not too invasive and all is well. So CRAPPY! Good luck and I'll be thinking about you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Leia, I am SO sorry. That sounds completely miserable. I won't do IUD's anymore. Both times I have had one, it hurt like hades to get it inserted and then when the doctor would check to see the position, BOTH times they had gotten it on the wrong track (whatever that means), then had to take it out and have me come back and hope with my fingers crossed that the doctor's office would replace the misplaced one for free.

    Good luck with your surgery. It sounds horrible. I hope you make it through ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sucks! I hope everything goes well.

    ReplyDelete